This is a course that is offered by the Graduate School of Library and Information Science.
The cost is $200.00 USD, not Lindens! :-) For Introduction Course and $250.00 for the Intermediate class. Not bad at all!
Looks like a great opportunity! More info from the site is listed below:
Virtual World Librarianship in Second Life
Continuing education courses (non-credit) presented by the Illinois Alliance Library System and GSLIS
UPDATE 7/17: Three NEW sections of Introduction to Virtual World Librarianship and a new Intermediate Virtual World Librarianship course.
Introduction to Virtual World Librarianship
Section One: September 4, 11, 18, 25, October 2 and 9 from 6:00 - 8:00 pm SL (8:00 - 10:00 pm central)
Section Two: September 14, 21, 28, October 19, 26, and November 9 from 7:30 - 9:30 a.m. SL (9:30 - 11:30 am central)
Section Three: September 14, 21, 28, October 19, 26, and November 9 from 11:30 am - 1:30 pm SL (1:30 - 3:30 pm central)
Location: Info Island, Second Life
Audience: Open to anyone interested in learning more about virtual worlds, particularly libraries and other information resources in Second Life.
Week One: Introduction to Libraries in Virtual Worlds
Week Two: Second Life 101
Week Three: Collections, Resources, and Exhibits in Virtual Environment
Week Four: Reference and Information Services in Virtual Worlds
Week Five: Managing and Working in a Virtual Library or Department
Week Six: Skills Needed by 21st Century Librarians in Virtual Worlds
TO REGISTER FOR INTRODUCTION COURSE
Intermediate Virtual World Librarianship
Section One: September 17, 24, October 1, 8, 15, and 22 from 6:00 - 8:00 pm SL (8:00 - 10:00 pm central)
Section Two: November 6, 13, 20, 27, December 4 and 11 from 7:30 - 9:30 a.m. SL (9:30 - 11:30 am central)
Section Three: November 6, 13, 20, 27, December 4 and 11 from 11:30 am - 1:30 pm SL (1:30 - 3:30 pm central)
Location: Info Island, Second Life
Audience: Open to those who have completed the Introduction course or who have library experience in Second Life
Week One: Overview of Virtual Worlds Including Second Life & Others-What Libraries are Doing in Them
Week Two: Library Programs and Events in Second Life
Week Three: Introduction to Building and Scripting Items in Second Life
Week Four: Virtual World Library Services for Teens and Young Adults
Week Five: Introduction to Machinima - Creating Films in Second Life
Week Six: Immersive Learning Environments and Libraries
TO REGISTER FOR INTERMEDIATE COURSE
The two-hour synchronous sessions will meet online in Second Life. Asynchronous discussions will be posted to Forums on Moodle, the course management system used by GSLIS.
Participants will need a reliable Internet connection via DSL or cable in addition to the following hardware and software SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS. Please ensure you can meet these requirements before registering for a course.
If you have questions, contact Marianne Steadley, 217.244.2751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dembe Wellman
- Cyber, World, United States
- Dembe is an international educator that is a member of ISTE and EDUPODCASTING. SHe has created this blog for research and development as well as to document and make SL easier for other educators. Below, please check out the Educator's Survival Pack. It is designed to help new educators entering SL and Teen SL to Teach.
- ► 2008 (10)
- Teaching in SL - We have come a long way baby!
- Second Life Library 2.0 Project Report
- 3D world Chart
- Machinima: A Published History Using the ThinC Boo...
- Second Life Video Tutorials from Buffalo State Uni...
- VastPark Beta
- Let's Welcome Second Life Brazil
- SaLamander: Another great SL wiki
- Virtually Blind
- Maps of SL
- New !!! SecondRussia
- Second Life: Reaching into the Virtual World for R...
- Greenbush Island Video and Classroom 2.0 Website
- Virtual World Librarianship
- Using Power Point in SL to Present
- Introduction to SL Document
- Great New SL Wiki
- Get A First Life
- Check out the Harvard of Game Schools
- New Simulation World for Kids
- TEDBlog reports Top Interactive Experience Creator...
- "Virtual Goods: the next big business model"
- Watch "Science Learning Opportunities in Second Li...
- ShortText Too Cool
- NEW Educational Video Site!!
- Thanks to Milamber
- Educators - TNC is a Must visit in SL
- ▼ August (29)