It seems SL is getting more and more popular for teaching. Is it an addition, a learning trend, or the evolution of educational teaching and learning? I know myself I can log into SL thinging I will only be there for a few minutes and spend the day there with out a blink of the eye.
More and more eductors, such as Kathy Schrock and Will Richardson, are getting into the swing of SL - setting up offices and creating expert SL teaching status in less than a month. :-) Then there are the frontiers - the educators that have been in her for over a year and have a vested interest in teaching in SL - Kudos to those educators.
Seriously, who can resist the clothing, new places continually poping up in SL, the interaction with real people through avatars. It is just an amazing word. My avatar can do a lot of things I can not - like fly, build quickly, and wear clothing that in reality I would never be caught dead in. LOL SL fashion is a topic all itself. Dembe is at many times on the cutting edge of SL fashion and other, well lets just say she likes her wings and has close to 100 different types. :-)
I found out at real life training last week that video game addition was going to be added to the DSM4 making it a medical diagnosis for treatment and therapy. This posses a lot of questions in my mind. Are we encouraging an addition as educators? Does SL qualify as a video game? Will Video Addiction Support Groups be a new after school activity?
With the possibility of addition there is also good. It seems that gaming may improve spatial abilities, the ability to create and apply multiple strategies, and may help develop critical analyzing techniques according to research studies. However, does SL qualify as a video game? It is very unique and an evolution of the Sims. In fact, educational tendencies and uses exist and Sunday night seems to be a big educational meeting night in SL. :-)
Some articles to take a look at and decide for yourself"
My own take as an educator, as long as Second Life does not get in the way of RL we are fine. Plus, as with all technology, we need to remember it is an instructional tool to help support the curriculum and learning of our students. We just need to remember that SL is not the learning object or an independent curriculum in the k-12 educational world.
Regards till my next post,
- Dembe Wellman
- Cyber, World, United States
- Dembe is an international educator that is a member of ISTE and EDUPODCASTING. SHe has created this blog for research and development as well as to document and make SL easier for other educators. Below, please check out the Educator's Survival Pack. It is designed to help new educators entering SL and Teen SL to Teach.
- ► 2008 (10)
- Condos Available on EdTech Island
- Virtual World Guidelines for IBMers
- 3D DropBox
- Are they a Scam???
- 101 Uses for SL in the College Classroom
- FREE: Second Life eBook
- Madison Avenue to Conversation Starter - SL Hot is...
- Wii: Definately on My Holiday Wish List
- YouTube Tour of SL
- Life Science Informatics Treds Analysis for Commun...
- 3D Graphics
- Second Life, For Real
- Calling all Educators!!!
- Kids and 3D Worlds in Recent News
- Are Virtual Worlds the Future of Our Classrooms?
- SL - DO You Need One????
- Top 40 SL Blogs
- Museums and SL
- Virtual Boston Coming to SL
- The Virtual Entrpreneur - 5 Minute Movie
- iClone - A Great New Software
- Coke's Virtual Thirst Contest!
- How Madison Avenue is Wasting Millions on a Desert...
- PeggySheehy/Ramapo Islands at NECC 2007
- Comparing 2D and 3D Synchronous Learning
- Kansas Teaching Jobs Virtual Employment office in ...
- SL Helpful Questions from Experienced Teacher Pres...
- Virtual Worlds and Second Life NECC
- Give Education a Second Life Video
- Freebies on SL
- Canadian Police Recruit through SL
- SL Basic Facts
- Vassar Island is Great!
- Global Kids Machinima Camp
- The Horizon Project
- New Virtual World
- Give Education a Second Life
- Inworld Griefing
- Senator Gravel Presidential Campaign Enters SL - C...
- View Earth from a Satellite and My Sky
- MacArthur Foundations funding of Digital Media
- Virtual Social World and the Future of Learning
- eLuminata University
- Possibilities of Educational Exchange in SL
- SL Best Practices Conference
- Introduction to SL Video
- Newbie Tips: Basic Skills in Second Life
- Give Education a Second Life Video
- First Officially Sponsored Presidential Campaign i...
- EdTube.com is Here!
- Hillary's Campaign has been set up in SL
- Match, E-Harmony, True and Second Life?
- SL Trend
- ▼ July (53)